September 2017 AVOA Presidents Letter with Fibersphere & Crowley Landscape attachments

September 2017 Presidents Letter

Letter from the AVOA President September 2017
Hello Arbor Homeowners,
We are through the summer months now. Fall is around the corner. School is back in session and the Fall high school and college sports programs are in full force. The NFL kicked of this weekend.
Also with the Fall season comes many important decisions for your HOA board to make, approving contracts and setting a budget for 2018. Key points and dates will follow.
Upcoming events for Villebois owners:
    *VCCA board meeting is Thursday, September 21st at 6:30pm at the community    center
    *AVOA/Townhome regular board meeting is Wednesday, September 13th
    *AVOA/Townhome 2018 budget approval meeting is September 20th
     Both meetings start at 6:30pm in the community center.
Special notes to Owners in regard to the VCCA pool:
The VCCA board voted at their August board meeting to keep the pool open through September if the weather cooperates. So long as the warm weather stays with us the pool will remain open. Please note that at any time a notice will be sent out from CMI announcing the pool closed for the year.
Please feel free to send comments about the pool to CMI who will then forward to the VCCA board.
Feedback is how improvements are made, so do not be shy. Let them know how the pool season went for you.
Thanks for helping keep our community center and resort style pool a fun and enjoyable place to visit over the summer. We are privileged to have such a nice facility and the many volunteers that keep it running for your enjoyment.
Other board items:
1. A new 3-year contract went into place on September 1st for Fibersphere Internet. We   have Fibersphere through 2020 with no price increase.
2.Contract renewal for Crowley Landscape is underway with contract proposals coming in. The landscape budget will be discussed and approved at the September 13th meeting.
3.Budget planning for 2018 is on going. The final proposal will be presented to the board for approval at our October board meeting.
Special note to Owners:
For all of our dog lovers please remember a couple of important items regarding our dogs. All dogs are required to be on a leash when walking in public. We must also be diligent in making sure that we are picking up the poop.  Lets keep our community dog friendly and clean by following the guidelines set in the declarations.
Please come to the Board meeting on Wednesday, September 13th
.
If you are interested in our budget planning for 2018 that will be done on September 20th
.
All owners are welcome to attend this session.
Thank You,
Tom Vaughn, President
NOTE:  TO READ A LETTER FROM FIBERSPHERE TO VILLEBOIS USERS, THE CROWLEY QUARTERLY NEWSLETTER, AS WELL AS THE ORIGINAL PRESIDENTS LETTER, CLICK ON THE LINK AT THE TOP OF THIS POST.

July 2017 President’s Letter

We are well into the great summer months now with over 23 days of no rain. With that and the summer vacations it seems to quiet down considerably as far as the HOA goes. This information will be short and sweet this month but just as important so please do take a minute to find out what is happening in your Arbor neighborhood.

Upcoming events for Villebois owners:
Landscape planning meeting Tuesday, July 11th at 5:00pm at the community center
VCCA board meeting is Tuesday, July 18th at 6:30pm at the community center
AVOA board meeting is Monday, July 24th at 6:30pm at the community center

Special note to Owners in regard to the VCCA pool:
With summer here the pool and recreation center are in full-blown mode. The VCCA board has made changes to the policy this year. Now we all know that change is sometimes hard to take. We get in a rhythm that we like and then suddenly it changes. As AVOA owners we need to respect the decisions that this volunteer board has made and adapt to them so we can all enjoy this area.

The biggest change for all owners this year is the development of a food court area. This is where the board would like all food and snack items to be eaten. The reason: it will keep the pool deck clean and food-free for all guests.

The other change has to do with large floatables that our kids like to use. The board has decided, from a safety standpoint, that only small floatables are acceptable this year. We may not like this decision but it is our responsibility to follow the rules put in place.

Pool Monitors were hired this year after a lot of effort by the VCCA board to improve on last year. These monitors have been trained and unlike past years are supervised. They have been given the task to enforce the rules like, no food on the deck, no running on the pool deck, no diving in the pool and no cannon ball dives. If approached by a monitor please treat them with respect as they are only doing their job to keep everyone safe.

A new item this week is an evaluation form that all owners can fill out. This is a great way to get feedback to the board no matter if the comment is positive or negative. Take a couple of minutes to let the VCCA know how they are doing.

Thanks for helping keep our community center a fun and enjoyable place to visit.

The board in June completed the following actions

  1. Approved a motion to add special circumstances to the Enforcement Resolution Schedule of fine assessment enforcement with larger fines being charged for a special circumstance.
  2. Approved a revised Schedule of fine assessment addressing special fine assessment of $750 for each time an owner rents their home for less than thirty days minimum as required by our declarations
  3. Initiated research for safety regulation of open fires within covered spaces.
  4. The board reviewed the newly adopted compliance charter.

As shared in the June letter, the board is organizing a large focus group to work on a long-term landscape management plan for the Arbor community. This focus group will meet again this week on Tuesday, July 11th in the community center at 5:00pm. All homeowners are welcome to attend. Our target points this month are what can we accomplish in year one of the five-year plan and what will be the cost associated with that. We need to stop just putting out fires and concentrate on sustainable landscape management.

A long-range vision for maturing community landscape will ultimately guide our day-to-day maintenance, as well as on going restoration and improvement. The goal of course is restoration and advancement of the Arbor excellence that has been the foundation for Villebois village acclaim. The output of this focus group will guide us over a period of years to our goal. We will succeed in large part based proportionally upon engagement and support by all Arbor homeowners.

The ARC committee approved 7 projects in the month of June. Any type of work done to your home exterior should go to the ARC for review and approval. We have really worked on the turn-around time of these requests and try to get approval within a couple weeks or sooner, through electronic communication among committee members.

I’m happy to announce that the new chair for the communication committee is Cathy Schwab. They do their best to keep the our Villebois web page information current for our owners.

The Compliance Support Committee drafted a charter last month. This group was established 3 months ago to assist the board on concerns and complaints submitted to CMI.

The Welcoming Committee is hard at work delivering the welcome packet to all new owners.

The Finance Committee is hard at work this summer as we prepare the annual 2018 budget. This committee will meet on July 25th and hopes to have a first edition budget out for review.

Please come to the Board meeting on Monday, July 24th. We take care of business, but we also have fun at the same time. We would love to have you join us.

See everyone on the 24th at 6:30pm community center main room.

Thanks,

Tom Vaughn, AVOA President

June 2017 President’s Letter

Well the April showers did bring May flowers We are starting to gear up for a great summer of nice warm weather. The AVOA helped open the pool on May 26th with a potluck and open swim enjoyed by many. The pool is one of the many benefits to living in the Arbor neighborhood, along with the many walking paths, parks and oh did I fail to mention the many great neighbors we can talk to on those walks. 

Here is this months news and board updates:

Up coming events for Villebois owners:

Father’s day beer and wine festival at the community center on Saturday June 17th from 4 to 10pm

Community wide garage sale on Saturday June 24th from 8am till done. Do your own advertising of this event. This does draw a large crowd to our neighborhood every year.

Good time to go through the closets and the garage and get those things ready to sell

 VCCA board meeting is Tuesday June 27th at 630pm at the community center

AVOA board meeting is Wednesday June 28th at 630pm at the community center 

Like yoga? Then join the group at the community center on Monday evenings at 6pm on June 5th, 12th and 26th 

Special note to owners:

In the last few months the Architectural Rreview committee has received many incomplete applications for home improvements. This delays the process, as this committee will not make a decision until they have a complete application. Please read through the application carefully and provide all the information required of you.Feel free to consult with CMI for help in preparing the application

Also please be aware that any Alterations to the outside of your home need ARC approval before you start the project. Please do not start a project without going through the ARC process first. 

The AVOA conducted the Second compliance walk through of the year

On Wednesday May 17th a very nice day with temps in the 70’s, the committee made their way around the neighborhood to take a look at the conditions. One positive item noted during the walk through again was the great condition of most all the fences, even after a rough winter. In the month of April we sent out 86 first notice letters for conditions. In our May walk through we added an additional 18 first notice letters for conditions and sent 64 second notice letters for those that did not respond to the first notice from April. Scott Deveau joined the compliance committee in May and helped out during the walkthrough. Welcome aboard Scott. During the month the compliance committee spent much time working with CMI on the wording of the letters and making sure the letters follow our enforcement resolution. During this second walk through it was brought to the committee’s attention that owners are allowing the use of chalk on mailboxes and retaining walls. Let me be perfectly clear on this, chalk is ok for the kids to use on the sidewalk area only. Please help us maintain our neighborhood by only allowing the kids to use the sidewalks only.

During the May board meeting the board approved the following items

  1. Approved a budget for the welcoming committee of $350.00.
  2. Approved a second notice letter be sent to the owner who is using their home as an Air B&B
  3. Approved a motion to disable fobs of owners who are 60 days past due on paying dues

Attendance at this board meeting was well attended. Thank you to all that attended. That is the way it should be. Again if you have not attended a board meeting, this coming month would be a good time to start. You might even get motivated to join a committee and be involved in what is happening.

During the month of May the Landscape committee

Led by Joe Sharpsteen, the landscape group has been very active. With the improved weather they are starting to get many little projects completed.

Water bills for April show reasonable expense. The committee is working with Crowley to get a landscape architect out to look at zone K and evaluate what needs to be done. I will speak to this more later. All items in the notebook (concerns called in by owners) were reviewed and resolved. The committee did approve up to $400 to grind out an old tree stump and replace with 2 boxwoods. The committee discussed with Crowley the condition of the grass. Crowley recommends that areas of grass be dethatched, aerated and reseeded. The cost of this project would be $4900.00. The board denied the work asking for more information on exact areas and the overall impact of small areas to the neighborhood. Crowley recommended preparation of a Turf Health Care Program for the neighborhood. This plan would address the lawn problems related to moss control and crane fly spraying, provide recommended repair and care procedures and estimate costs for the work. Plan is intended to address the long term care of the lawns.

To further our effort to enhance our quality of landscape maintenance, Tim Crowley owner of Crowley landscape attended our May 24th board meeting to give the board and owners “a state of the landscape” speech. In the speech Tim addressed the issues of the takeover from Showplace last year, the extremely rough and wet winter we endured and plans moving forward this summer. Tim did mention that flowerbeds would be the number one target over the next few weeks.

I have put together a focus group separate from the landscaping committee that will meet this week with Crowley to start working on a one to five year plan for our community’s landscape.

We are at the point that we need to stop putting out fires and concentrate on good solid landscape planning. The goal of course is to get our community looking good again. This focus group will focus on getting us to our goal over a period of years using the quadrant method. More to come on this next month.

During the month of May the ARC committee

Led by Dan Vasquez approved one fence repair and re- stain, two exterior re-paint jobs and has one AC compresser installation in process. This is really important for all homeowners to understand. Any type of work done to your home exterior should go to the ARC for review and approval. We have really worked on the turn-around time of these requests and try to get approval within a couple weeks or sooner, through electronic communication among committee members.

During the month of May the Communications committee

Completed a new org chart that is now on the CMI websites for both the AVOA and TAVOA. It is a quick reference for owners to the boards and committees information.

Just remember that any type of request is best to go through CMI, not a board or committee member. CMI tracks everything for the board and assure the quickest response.

During the month of May the Compliance committee

Led by Jane Rossi approved a revised first and second letter notice that is more friendly and follows Enforcement Resolution passed in February.

During the month of May the Welcoming committee

Led by Bev Hawley are starting to receive weekly updates of new residents moving in.

They are mailing out a personal note to each new resident welcoming them.

After the letter they will visit each new resident with a pocket folder filled with pertinent information.

This is just the starting point for this committee. They have many more ideas they are working on developing in the next few months

During the month of May the Finance committee

Led by chair Chereen Ebner started looking over all the financials. In the month of June Chereen will be heavily involved in starting to put together our 2018 budget. This is a two month long project, that will be completed in August for board approval 

During the month of May our Committees added

If you recall I asked in my last letter for more involvement from owners. The following owners joined committees in April and May: Everett Lapp, Jeanne Lapp, Beverly Hawley, Chereen Ebner, Scott Deveau. Thank you to all for volunteering your precious time to help our community but this is not enough.

Our community will continue to grow as more owners continue to volunteer. We are still 9 short of the goal of 14 additional committee members. Help us reach that goal before July 1st by volunteering to help out. Check out the committees and see which one would fit your ambitions and join it.

Please come to the Board meeting on Wednesday, June 28th. We take care of business, but we also have fun at the same time. We would love to have you join us.

See everyone on the 28th at 6:30pm community center main room.

This month Cheryl Brendle the CFO with Community Management will give a short presentation on exactly what a management company does for our HOA.

See you all on the 28th

Thanks,
Tom Vaughn, AVOA President
 

May 2017 President’s Letter

Well they say with April showers come May flowers. That may not be true this year, as we have had a rugged winter of rain and cold weather. But being an optimist I know warm sunny weather is just around the corner. And we have hit the ground running.

The AVOA conducted the first compliance walk through of the year
On Wednesday April 19th a typical winter day of 55 and rain, but the crew was able to make their way around the neighborhood and take a look at the conditions. One positive item noted during the walk through was the great condition most all the fences, even after a rough winter. Fences were an issue in 2016 and homeowners have stepped up and made the fences look great again. Letters were sent to 86 homeowners for exterior items that need to be addressed between now and August.

During the April board meeting the board approved the following items
1. Approved 4 representatives to the VCCA (rec. center) board: Victor Buccieri, Julie Daily, Ruth McClurg and Tom Vaughn. They will all serve a one-year term.
2. Approved appointment of Victor Buccieri to the unexpired vacant AVOA board position of Patricia Zimmerman ending November 2017
3. Approved Tom Vaughn to assume the vacated President position
4. Approved John Merrick to assume the vacated Vice President position
5. Approved a revised Exhibit “A” Schedule of Fine Assessments for the Enforcement Resolution.

Attendance at this board meeting was through the roof. Thank you to all that attended. That is the way it should be. Again if you have not attended a board meeting, this month would be a good time to start. You might even get motivated to join a committee and be involved in what is happening.

During the month of April the Landscape committee completed
Led by Joe Sharpsteen, the landscape group has been very active even in the bad weather.
Work is being done to clean up the traffic circle on Barber and Costa Circle. Removal of old trees and addition of new trees. Two dying trees on Grenoble St have been removed and replaced with new trees. They also looked into some dying grass issues on Lausanne St. A plan is being put in place to address this. This committee works hard in conjunction with the board to keep our neighborhood looking ship shape.
The results of the landscape opt out survey were shared with the board by CMI. Nineteen owners opted out of common maintenance for pruning and nine owners opted out for pest and weed spraying. This means they will do their own maintenance.
To further our effort to enhance our quality of landscape maintenance, Tim Crowley owner of Crowley landscape will be attending our May 24th board meeting to give the board and owners “a state of the landscape” speech. I invite all homeowners who have landscape concerns that they would like Crowley to address, to send those questions or concerns into CMI. Those will be tallied and then sent to Crowley. This presentation will entertain no questions or comments from the owners or Board, due to time restraints, which is why it is important for you to send your questions or concerns into CMI by Wednesday May 17th.

During the month of April the ARC committee completed
Led by Dan Vasquez approved 4 backyard re-designs and 2 house painting requests in the month of April. This is really important for all homeowners to understand. Any type of work done to your home exterior should go to the ARC group to review and approve. We have really worked on the turn-around time of these requests and try to get approval within a couple weeks or sooner, through electronic communication among committee members.

During the month of April the Communications committee
Completed a new org chart that is now on the CMI websites for both the AVOA and TAVOA. It is a quick reference for owners to the boards and committees information.
Just remember that any type of request is best to go through CMI, not a board or committee member. They track everything for the board and assure the quickest response.

During the month of April the Compliance committee
Led by Jane Rossi approved a revised Schedule of Fine Assessments to go with the new Enforcement Resolution passed in February. This revision further defines the schedule and how it works.

During the month of April our Committees added
I am happy to announce new members to our committees. If you recall I asked in my last letter for more involvement from owners. The following owners joined committees in April: Everett Lapp, Jeanne Lapp, Beverly Hawley, Chereen Ebner. In May Scott Deveau joined a committee. Thank you to all for volunteering your precious time to help our community.

Our community will continue to grow as more owners continue to volunteer. We are still 9 short of the goal of 14 additional committee members. Help us reach that goal before June 1st by volunteering to help out.

Please come to the Board meeting on Wednesday, May 24th. We take care of business, but we also have fun at the same time. We would love to have you join us.
See everyone on the 24th at 6:30pm

Thanks,
Tom Vaughn, AVOA President

Letter from the New President April 19th, 2017

I wanted to take just a moment and introduce myself. I am Tom Vaughn and recently accepted the Presidency of Arbor Villebois Owners Association, effective March 22nd. I am taking over for retiring President Patricia Zimmerman who has stepped down from the Board for personal reasons.

I want to commend how Patricia did such a wonderful job in supporting and leading this association over the past several years, first as an active member on several committees and then as a member of the Board of Directors and Association President for over a year. The Association has accomplished many good things for our community under her leadership and she will be missed. The entire Board of Directors wishes her and Lin the best in their activities in the coming years.

 With that said, I would like to introduce myself. I am a retired operations manager from UPS. I spent 30 years with the very best run company in the country and acquired an immense amount of experience getting things done. I will enjoy sharing this for our communities benefit.

My wife Cheryl and I have been residents of the community for just shy of two years. We both love this community with the walking trails, ample parks, playgrounds and the pool. Our biggest joy is when our two grandsons Cooper and Everett come over and spend time with Gram and Gramps. They both just love the parks and the pool. In my spare time I am a High School football official and have done this for the past 36 years in both Washington and Oregon.

 I first got involved here at Villebois as a board member with the town-homes association (TAVOA) in late 2015, just prior to the start of the re-construction process that took place in 2016 for most of the town-homes. In October of 2016 a vacancy occurred on the AVOA Board and Patricia asked me if I would like to fill that position. I said yes and off we go. So now I serve as a board member for each association.

 In my short time with the AVOA Board we have:

  1. Developed a strategic plan that guides the Association with both monthly and yearly activities,
  2. Created a compliance support committee to work hand in hand with the Board and CMI, our management company,
  3. Developed an organizational chart for the Board and the committees to post on both of our websites so our homeowners can get quick information about our organization at a glance.

 What do I want to see moving forward as President? I would love to see more owner involvement in our committees.

I am asking all owners who can spare at the max four hours a month to step up and join a committee. I have a firm belief that the more owner involvement we have, the better our community will be. One of the things I see at this point is that only a few owners step up and contribute to our community. I know that we all have full personal lives, but some how we have to find a way for more owners to see the community as an important part of their personal lives.

 My goal from now until the end of the year is to grow our owner involvement by joining a committee. With more owner involvement we can grow and improve our community in ways no one can foresee in the present. New and fresh ideas are how we move this Association forward. The commitment takes very little time and is a great way to meet and interact with other homeowners. It also gives you the opportunity to provide your input into our community. At this moment we have the following active committees functioning in the HOA, Landscape, ARC, Finance, Communications, Governing docs, Welcome and Compliance. If you feel you can contribute now is the time to sign up.

With a willingness to share any thoughts on what needs to be done or changed in this community, this would be a great time to step forward and lend your expertise.

 This week the board approved Victor Buccieri to the open board position for our association. Victor is currently the President of the Villebois Community Center (VCCA) and serves on our Compliance support Committee. He will be a great addition to the board. The board also approved this week John Merrick as Vice President of the AVOA.

 If you have any interest getting involved in a committee, please email Daniel Kent at CMI and let him know of your interest in volunteering to help grow and manage our community. I look forward to working with the different committees we have with the AVOA as we pursue ways to maintain and enhance our great neighborhood while staying within our planned budget.

 I encourage all owners who have never attended a board meeting to do so in the near future. Our board meetings are held on the fourth Wednesday of the month at the Community Center at 6:30pm. All Owners are invited and welcome to attend.

Our current AVOA board members:
Tom Vaughn – President
Justine Keith – Secretary
John Merrick – Vice President
Drew Harvey – At Large
Victor Buccieri – At Large
 
Our current AVOA committees:

Landscape – Joe Sharpsteen chair
Currently 4 members with 2 vacant positions, (this is the HOA’S biggest expense)

ARC – (Architectural Review) Dan Vasquez Chair
Currently 4 members with no vacant positions

Governing Docs – Erroyl Hawley Chair
Currently 3 members with 2 vacant positions

Finance – no chair or members
Looking for accountant or CPA to help the Association
4 vacant positions

Compliance – Jane Rossi Chair
Currently 4 members with 1 vacant position

Welcome – Bev Hawley chair
Currently 2 members with 3 vacant positions

Communication – Patricia Zimmerman Chair
Currently 3 members with 2 vacant positions

So you can see we have opportunities for 14 owners to get involved in our community by becoming a committee member.

I want to thank all of our active committee members for the outstanding effort they put forth each month to make Arbor Villebois a great community to live in.

I look forward to meeting many of you in the coming months

Thank you,
Tom Vaughn
President

April 2017 President’s Letter

LETTER FROM THE ARBOR VILLEBOIS (AVOA) PRESIDENT

April 2017

Hello Neighbors — and the month of April!

Here’s the list of items you’ll read about in this issue:

— AVOA Board of Directors Appoints Tom Vaughn Acting President

— No Prune/No Spray Survey Under Way

— April Update on Landscape Items

— News About Your VCCA Board and Committees

— Compliance Committee Will Conduct Spring Clean Walk-Through this Month

— Homeowners to Receive Letters Regarding Alleyway Lights

— Meet Amber Koski from CMI

— What You Can Do to Thwart Package Thieves

— Upcoming Events in April

Tom Vaughn Has Been Appointed Acting President of the AVOA Board

The Board of Directors, at its March 22nd meeting, appointed Tom Vaughn (pictured here) to serve as Acting President of the AVOA Board until November 2017. This action was taken as a result of my tendering my resignation as a board member and president, effective immediately. I sincerely hope that the entire community will support Tom as he takes on this responsibility which he adds to those he also carries — as a member of the TAVOA Board and the VCCA Board!

It was with mixed emotions that I reached this decision to step down — one that was made for personal reasons — as I have thoroughly enjoyed helping our community and acting in these capacities for the past 16 months.

I personally will remain active on various committees as time allows and will work behind the scenes to help Tom keep our community strong. That said, much of my time and attention throughout the rest of the year will be spent in New Jersey — with my new grandson!

Nominations for a replacement board member are currently being sought. If you would like to put your name forward— or you would like to nominate a neighbor whom you know would be a great board member — please get in touch with . This position would fill my term, which ends in November, 2017.

No Prune/No Spray Survey Under Way

By now you’ve received the “No Prune/No Spray” Survey in which you can opt out of two services provided by Crowley Landscape Management — pruning and weed-and-insect control. Please be sure to answer this survey at your earliest convenience and return it to CMI so they can note your preferences. If we do NOT hear from you, we will assume you want all of the services that Crowley provides — services that your monthly dues pay for.  As you make your decisions, remember that you cannot “cherry pick” which plants you want Crowley to attend. It’s all or nothing regarding the pruning. If you “opt out,” you will be responsible for keeping the plants in your front and side yards trimmed. What’s more, whether you choose this option or not, every homeowner is responsible for maintaining plants within fenced-in side yards and backyards; for plants in pots around the house exterior; and any roses that the homeowner has planted. If you opt out of spraying for herbicides and insecticides for weed and insect control, then you will personally be responsible for weed removal and insect control on your lot.

April Update on Landscape Items

As the Crowley crew works this month to get our lawns in shape and sprinkler system in order, the Landscape Committee  asks that everyone help Crowley out by reporting extremely damaged lawn areas and sprinkler heads that are buried or broken off. These reports can be sent to Daniel Kent at CMI () who will pass them along to Crowley. What’s more, after the irrigation system is turned on later this spring, homeowners can help by watching for and reporting areas that appear dry or overwatered because of a leak. The Landscape Committee reminds us that Crowley cannot watch every inch of lawn and every shrub all the time. So, if one nozzle fails it could cause part of the lawn to go dormant or a shrub to die. The Committee also asks us to remember that our irrigation system is more than 10 years old and not totally reliable, so we must all do our part to keep it working as long as possible until we can budget for — and pay for — a better system.

News About Your VCCA Board and Committees

John Danahy, an AVOA homeowner who has served as president of the VCCA Board for the past two years (among other positions for the AVOA), recently sold his house and is moving to Central Oregon. To say that we will miss John as a neighbor and contributor to the quality of our community is a gross understatement. Although we wish him well in his new adventure, John will be missed big, big time as he has been an important member of our AVOA family!!!!

In the meantime, we are very fortunate that we have four qualified and energetic AVOA homeowners who were elected to serve as VCCA board members at the Annual Meeting on March 28th. They are (pictured, below, left to right) Ruth McClurg, Julie Dailey, Victor Buccieri and Tom Vaughn. Each of them will serve for one year. Victor has been appointed the new  president of the VCCA and the three other AVOA members will serve as directors at large.

We also are very lucky to have several AVOA homeowners who are serving currently on one or more of the various committees, including the Pool Committee, Advisory Committee, Activities Committee, Maintenance Committee, Recheck Committee, and Communications Committee.

If you are interested in joining one of these committees or putting your name forward to be a member of the VCCA board, please contact .

For your information, the VCCA Activities Committee will be sponsoring a “Pool Potluck” dinner again this year on Friday, May 26, to commemorate the opening of the pool on Memorial Day Weekend.

In addition, we will be reporting on  some new changes to the usage of various rooms in the Community Center in upcoming newsletters.  So stay tuned!

Compliance Committee Will Conduct “Spring Clean” Walk-Through this Month 

As noted in the last newsletter, our Compliance Committee will be conducting its walk-through this month to check on those areas that the HOA is resposible for and that may need repair, paint or power washing. In addition, they’ll also be noting which homes might need some external maintenance this year. So, if you see a team of neighbors walking the ‘hood with clip boards in their hands and looking at your home, that’s who it is — the Compliance Team!

Homeowners to Receive Letters Regarding Alleyway Lights

This month, more than 140 homeowners will receive a courtesy letter asking them to fix their garage lights in the alleys as soon as possible. Fixing these lights has been a topic in the past two newsletters, so the Board agreed at  its meeting in March that it was time to ask CMI to send courtesy letters to homeowners who still have not complied. If lights are not working next month, homeowners may receive a more official letter with possible fines attached. Again, if you need help in getting this done, please contact Daniel Kent at CMI (). Daniel at CMI can give you required information and also put you in touch with one of our neighbors who has a supply of the correct bulbs available for purchase. This neighbor is also knowledgeable about how to replace the bulbs for those who are  still having problems getting this done.

Meet Amber Koski from CMI

You may have noticed that Daniel Kent now has an assistant to help him keep track of our HOA activities. Her name is Amber Koski, (pictured here). Neighbors who have dealt with her on various matters report that she’s a great resource. We are very lucky to have such a qualified player on our team. You can reach Amber at 503.445.1228 or .

What You Can Do to Thwart Package Thieves

Many neighbors have adopted new ways to keep packages from being ripped off from their front porches. Some say they use a new “Ring” program (ring.com) that sends an alert to their remote phones whenever a delivery person rings their front door bell or someone else is on their front porch. (Enforcement experts say that robbers first ring a front door bell to see if anyone  is home befiore trying to enter a house, so being able to “answer” the door remotely is a good idea.) Other neighbors are using one of Amazon’s drop-off delivery points so that packages are not left unattended on their porches. Plaid Pantry in Wilsonville is one of these drop-off points. Their “name” is Mexia so when you arrange with Amazon for a delivery, you might want to designate this drop-off point as opposed to your home address. Please let us know through Daniel Kent () if you have any other good ideas.

Mark Your Calendars for Several Upcoming Events

The Villebois Events Committee is sponsoring its annual Easter Egg Hunt on April 15th. Check out details at myvillebois.com and on the Villebois Hood Facebook Page.

The VCCA is sponsoring a special coffee gathering on Earth  Day. April 22, at the Community Center, between  10am to 12pm. The theme is “How to Garden in Small Spaces.”  All are welcome to attend!!

Here, below, is a quick history of Earth Day from the website earthday.org as we look forward to celebrating this day and learn how to conserve our environment and grow food and flowers in limited spaces. Hope to see you at the April 22 event!

This is from the website www.earthday.org:

Each year,  April 22nd, Earth Day, marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970.

The idea for a national day to focus on the environment came to Earth Day founder Gaylord Nelson, then a U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, after witnessing the ravages of the 1969 massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, California. 

Senator Nelson announced the idea for a “national teach-in on the environment” to the national media; persuaded Pete McCloskey, a conservation-minded Republican Congressman, to serve as his co-chair; and recruited Denis Hayes from Harvard as national coordinator. Hayes built a national staff of 85 to promote events across the land. April 22, falling between Spring Break and Final Exams, was selected as the date.

On April 22,1970, 20 million Americans took to the streets, parks, and auditoriums to demonstrate for a healthy, sustainable environment in massive coast-to-coast rallies. Thousands of colleges and universities organized protests against the deterioration of the environment. Groups that had been fighting against oil spills, polluting factories and power plants, raw sewage, toxic dumps, pesticides, freeways, the loss of wilderness, and the extinction of wildlife suddenly realized they shared common values.

Earth Day 1970 achieved a rare political alignment, enlisting support from Republicans and Democrats, rich and poor, city slickers and farmers, tycoons and labor leaders. By the end of that year, the first Earth Day had led to the creation of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the passage of the Clean AirClean Water, and Endangered Species Acts. “It was a gamble,” Gaylord recalled, “but it worked.”

I hope you enjoy these activities in April — and don’t forget to send your opinions, suggestions and ideas regarding subjects you’ve read about in this (and previous ) newsletters to Daniel Kent at CMI (.

And, lastly, I hope that you will support our new AVOA Acting President, Tom Vaughn, in any way that you are able.

Happy Spring!!

Patricia Zimmerman, Outgoing President

March 2017 President’s Letter

LETTER FROM THE ARBOR VILLEBOIS (AVOA) PRESIDENT

March 2017

March is here and that means Spring can’t be too far away.  Yay!

So, here’s what you’ll read about in this month’s newsletter.

— Tree Trimming Continues Throughout Neighborhood this Month.

— Board Decides to Conduct a New “No Prune/No Spray” Survey.

— Homeowners to Receive a Check-List Regarding External Maintenance.

— Board Approves a More Comprehensive Enforcement Resolution.

— Here’s a Good Solution for Window Replacement.

— Many Homeowners Still Need to Fix Alleyway and Garage Lights.

— Deadline Nears to Get Homeowners Survey to CMI.

— Homeowners Reminded that Dogs Need to be on Leashes at All Times.

— Mark Your Calendars for Several Upcoming Events.

Tree Trimming Continues Throughout Neighborhood in March 

As mentioned in last month’s letter, Crowley Landscape Management and Portland Tree Services will continue to do tree trimming and pruning activity throughout the month. So watch for their trucks! Work to be performed includes clearance away from all homes and other structures; vehicle and pedestrian clearance; and pruning where necessary to eliminate all hazardous situations.

In addition, general pruning of larger trees will be taking place in one quadrant of the neighborhood.  (Please  see the map contained in last month’s newsletter for which quadrant is being worked on this year.) If you believe strongly that a large tree near your home needs emergency pruning, please send in a request using the Landscape Form. To do this, log onto www.ourvillebois.com and go to the Arbor Villebois HOA page, find the “Landscape Form” button and that will take you to the CMI website where, after you log in, you click the “Service” tab and submit a “Maintenance Request,” and a “Work Request.” If you are having problems with this, please contact and/or .

Board Decides to Conduct a New “No Prune/No Spray” Survey

Your Board of Directors decided to conduct a new “No Prune/No Spray” Survey this spring as we have a new Landscape Company and many new neighbors who need to tell us their desires to opt out of pruning and spraying activities. (These are the only two landscape activities that homeowners may decline.)  So, please be on the look-out for this new survey request.

Homeowners To Receive a Check-List Regarding External Maintenance

You may have already received a letter or email note from CMI regarding a “Spring Compliance Packet.” This communication included an Exterior Maintenance Reminder Notice along with a revised Enforcement Resolution and Fine Schedule adopted at the February 28th Board Meeting. (See a copy of the “reminder notice” below.) This is the first time we’ve put together this list of homeowners’ external maintenance responsibilities. This list will also serve as a guideline to our walk-through team this spring. We hope that everyone will take a good look at their properties as the weather improves to determine what work needs to be done this year.  Please let CMI know your plans!!

 

Board Approves a New Enforcement Resolution and Simpler Fee Schedule

In the same email or letter, you also received a more comprehensive — and we believe a more homeowner-friendly — Enforcement Resolution and Fee Schedule, which the Board approved at its last meeting. Please review this document and save a copy of it as it will be the official document that explains the steps that will be taken once a homeowner makes a complaint and the steps the Board will follow to determine if there has been a violation of our CCR&Es and how it will be handled.

 

Here’s a Good Solution for Window Replacement

One homeowner sent in this email after she read last month’s newsletter regarding window replacement.

She writes: “I have had to replace several windows in my house and am about to replace another. The first time, I went back to my homeowners manual to find the  original subcontractor for windows. It turns out that company was sold to Cascade Windows and they have taken over the warranty work along with that purchase. I was told that, as long as I am the original owner, my windows are under warranty for life. I have had to show proof of that ownership but then they came out and replaced windows for no charge. It never occurred to me to consult the HOA because the window replacements are basically identical to the old ones. Perhaps new homeowners should know about Cascade because, even if they have to pay since they are not original owners, they can get matching windows that fit right into the original openings.”

Many Homeowners Still Need to Fix Alleyway and Garage Lights

I am sad to report that many homeowners still need to fix their alleyway and garage lights. As a result, these homeowners will be receiving an official notice from CMI as they are in violation of our CCR&Es  6.5 Maintenance of Structures.

The Board of Directors checked with the HOA lawyer to be sure these lights are the responsibility of each individual homeowner and he has confirmed this.  Again, if you need help in getting this done, please contact Daniel Kent at CMI ().

One homeowner sent in this information about an adapter he found for his garage door light. It converts the 2-prong fixture to accept standard screw-in type bulbs, which may be easier for many homeowners to maintain. It costs $3.00 at Home Depot and can be found in the electrical aisle (not with the light bulbs).

Deadline Nears to Get Homeowners Survey to CMI

We are still looking to receive surveys from many homeowners so this is a gentle reminder to please send in these forms. If you’ve misplaced the form or have trouble filling it out, here’s the information, below, that’s requested. You can just send an email to with this info. This information is essential for our management company to do its job, for us to know which homes are being rented and how to reach renters in the event of an emergency, for us to know which automobiles belong in our neighborhood and which ones are being left on our streets, and for us to know how to contact you and your emergency contact in the event of an emergency.

If we do not have your survey on file, your FOB — which provides you access to the VCCA Community Center — will be turned off as the VCCA Board is moving forward to re-identify all VCCA homeowners and their FOB numbers.

ARBOR VILLEBOIS HOMEOWNERS SURVEY——————————————————————————————-PLEASE SELECT ONE: 

[  ] Owner(s) resides in AVOA home

[  ] Home is Owner’s 2nd residence (no one occupies the home in Owner’s absence)
[  ] Home is occupied by someone other than the Owner and there is no written rental agreement
(e.g., Owner is allowing family member to occupy home)
[  ] Home is currently rented

Property Address: __________________________________________________________________________________        Owner Names (All names as shown on deed) ___________________________________________________________

Mailing Address (if different from above): _______________________________________________________________

Home Phone: _________________Work Phone: _____________________Cell(s): ______________________________

Email(s):____________________________________________________________________________________________

Key Fob(s) #: pastedGraphic.png

Names of all Adult Occupants: (including you, the owner(s), and your adult family members or, if you are renting your home, all non-owner adults living in your home), ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Landline (if one exists): ______________________________Cell(s) :__________________________________________

Email(s): ___________________________________________________________________________________________

Rental Property Management Co. Contact Information (if applicable): ______________________________________

Vehicle 1 Type and plate #: __________________________Vehicle 2 Type and plate # __________________________

Vehicle 3 Type and plate #: __________________________Vehicle 4 Type and plate #___________________________

EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION:

Name: ________________________________________ Work Phone:____________________________

Email: ____________________________ Home Phone: ________________ Cell Phone:__________________

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————Homeowners Reminded that Dogs Need to be on Leashes at All Times

A few weeks ago, we had a large German Shepherd dog dashing and darting throughout the neighbor, running into people’s homes and garages whenever it saw an open door. While nobody was hurt, it was clear that this incident scared a lot of neighbors and certainly was terrifying for the dog as it searched to find its home!  If anyone knows “Mike” who owns this beautiful animal, please let him know that the next time may have a different outcome.  Also, please remember to keep all dogs on leashes whenever you take them out of your home or your enclosed backyards. Loose dogs could easily dart into the street and get hit by an oncoming car or even dash across a street to bite someone. Things happen!

Mark Your Calendars for Several Upcoming Events

The VCCA Activities Committee has put together some fun events so mark your calendars!

March 18th – Saturday: St. Patrick’s Day Coffee: 10 am to 12 noon

Theme and Program: “How Irish Are You?” Find out how to learn about your ancestors through DNA testing.

April 22 – Saturday:  Earth Day Coffee: 10 am to 12 noon 

Theme and Program: “How to Garden in Small Spaces”

——————————————————————

May 6th  – Saturday:  May Day Coffee

10 am to 12 noon Theme and Program: May is National Photo Month.

Program on preserving, digitizing and displaying photographs

May 26th – Friday: Opening of Pool Potluck

5:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Happy March!

Patricia Zimmerman, President